BMs are experts in all things navigation and seamanship.
BMs are experts at navigating vessels and have the most command leadership opportunities of any rating. When operating a boat as coxswain, you'll be in charge of executing the mission and be responsible for the safety of your crew members. You'll also have a chance to train as a law enforcement officer to conduct maritime boardings. BMs can be found at nearly every operational unit.
- Comfortable as a leader?
- Attentive to detail?
- Excited to operate small boats?
- Interested in law enforcement?
Seamanship and navigation
- BMs receive a 14-week rating course in Yorktown, VA, with instruction in seamanship and navigation.
- Advanced maritime navigation training and tactical law enforcement training.
- Both full-time and part-time Coast Guard-funded educational opportunities that lead to an associate degree, bachelor's degree, or higher may be available.
- Captain, Mate, or Pilot of Water Vessels
- General and Operations Manager
- Emergency Management Director
- First-line Supervisor of Material-moving Machine and Vehicle Operators
- Schedule Development or Personnel Management Specialist