Health Services Technician
HSs provide emergency healthcare to those in distress and give medical care to Coast Guard crews.
HSs meet the urgent medical needs of those in distress and maintain the readiness of Coast Guard crews. You'll be trained in emergency medical care and specialties such as X-ray technician, diagnostic testing, pharmacy, and dental treatment. You may prescribe medications, administer immunizations, or perform minor surgical procedures. HSs are typically assigned to cutters or Coast Guard clinics ashore.
- Drawn to medicine or dental health?
- Strong in STEM subjects?
- HSs receive a 22-week rating course in Petaluma, CA, with instruction in clinical laboratory procedures, sterilization techniques, preventative medicine, nursing, pharmacy, and wound treatment.
- Advanced X-ray technician training, pharmacy technician training, behavioral health training, independent duty certification, and nationally registered emergency medical technician (EMT) training.
- Specifically, the Health Care Administration and Physician Assistant programs are available to the HS rating.
- Community Health Worker
- X-ray Technician
- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Medical or Dental Assistant