Marine Science Technician
MSTs inspect vessels and facilities, and respond to pollution incidents.
MSTs are specialists who enforce laws related to safety, security, and environmental protection. You'll board vessels, inspect commercial waterfront facilities, and respond to disasters that affect the environment or operation of a port. You may search containers or oversee handling of hazardous cargo to prevent disruptions to critical maritime commerce infrastructure. MSTs are typically assigned to shoreside sectors and specialized units.
- Interested in emergency response?
- Passionate about the environment?
- Consistent and methodical?
- Interested in a STEM career?
- MSTs receive a 12-week rating course in Yorktown, VA, with instruction in investigation of pollution incidents, pollution cleanup operations, and vessel and waterfront facility inspections.
- Training in container inspections and explosives handling, as well as federal on-scene coordinator representative and other national incident management system certifications.
- Both full-time and part-time Coast Guard-funded educational opportunities that lead to an associate degree, bachelor's degree, or higher may be available.
- Marine Environmental Specialist
- Hazardous Materials Specialist
- Facility Supervisor
- Vessel Inspector
- OSHA Response Trainer