Public Affairs Specialist
PAs are the link between the Coast Guard and the public, specializing in mass communications.
PAs are public communications specialists. You'll write news releases, shoot still and video imagery, serve as a spokesperson to the media, and maintain official social media accounts and web content. You'll focus public awareness on important Coast Guard issues and respond to inquiries about Coast Guard actions. PAs are typically assigned to districts and large sectors.
- A skilled communicator?
- Able to maintain poise under pressure?
- Creative and self-motivated?
- Interested in photography, videography, and social media?
- PAs receive a 26-week rating course in Fort Meade, MD, with instruction in news writing, on-camera performance, photography, and videography.
- FEMA incident command system (ICS) and public information officer (PIO) certifications. Advanced training in photojournalism, digital imagery, editing and design, media relations, and crisis communication.
- Communications Director
- Public Relations/Marketing Specialist
- Social Media Manager