Overview, Initial Assignments and Career Path:
Current high-performing Officer Trainees (OT's) enrolled in their senior year of the College Student Pre-Commissioning Initiative (CSPI ) program demonstrating a strong desire and aptitude to become a part of the Coast Guard's aviation community can apply for a guaranteed flight school position through the Wilks’ Flight Initiative (WiFI) program. WiFI selectees earn a guaranteed appointment to flight school in Pensacola, FL, upon successful completion of CSPI and Officer Candidate School. Flight training graduates can expect a career as a Coast Guard pilot.
For individuals who are not already enrolled in the CSPI- consider applying to the CSPI program to become eligible for WiFI!
WiFI Eligibility Requirements:
- Be currently enrolled as a senior in the CSPI program, meeting all aspects of the Statement of Understanding (SOU).
- Physical (Medical):
- Must pass a Class 1A Flight Physical examination as specified in the Coast Guard Medical Manual, COMDTINST M6000.1 (series).
- Due to ejection seat limitations associated with the T-6 Texan Training Aircraft, WiFI applicants must be between 62” and 77” (inches tall).
- Test Score: Have a qualifying test score on the Navy and Marine Corps Aviation Selection Test Battery (ASTB). Applicants must attain passing scores of “4” on the Academic Qualification Rating (AQR) and “5” on the Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating (PFAR). ASTB scores are key criteria in the selection process. Arrangements to take the ASTB can be coordinated by the unit Educational Services Officer (ESO) or the nearest U. S. Navy recruiting office.
- Program-Specific Requirements:
- Interview: WiFI applicants must produce a new application package and follow the application posted on: http://www.gocoastguard.com/active-duty-careers/officer-opportunities/plan-your-next-move.
- Letters of Recommendation: WiFI applicants receive 3 letters of recommendation.
- WiFI applicants must receive a letter of recommendation from their Recruiter in Charge.
WiFI Terms of Service and Appointment Grade:
- Upon completion of OCS, WiFI applicants will receive a commission as an Ensign (O-1) with a 3 year initial active duty service obligation.
- The obligated active service requirement for flight training is 8 years after completion of flight school. When combined with the 3 year obligated service requirement incurred for completion of OCS, a WiFI graduate will have incurred 11 years of total obligated service.
- If a WiFI applicant does not successfully complete the flight training requirement of the program, he/she will be reassigned to a Coast Guard unit to continue a career as a Coast Guard commissioned officer. Such officers will be required to fulfill their initial three-year Coast Guard OCS obligated service requirement, plus one additional month of active duty obligation for each month in which they participate in flight training.
If you are ready to apply, you must visit the “Plan Your Next Move to become an Active Duty Coast Guard Officer” page and follow the application process, which includes downloading the application check list.