What are the qualifications to join the Coast Guard?Back to Top
Following are the basic requirements for becoming a member of the Coast Guard:
- You must be a U.S. citizen or a Resident Alien.
- Be between the ages of 17-27 (up to age 32 if qualified for attending guaranteed 'A' school) for Active Duty.(If you are 17, you'll need parental consent.)
- Reservists must be between 17-39. Prior service personnel should contact their local recruiter for specific programs.
- Have a high school diploma. GEDs are accepted in special circumstances.
- Have no more than two dependents.
- Pass the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test.
- Pass a military entrance medical exam.